Time to get nauti with some seafaring trivia.
The HMS Titanic sank 110 years ago this month in the frigid waters of the North Atlantic, taking 1,517 passengers down with her. To commemorate the disaster, a lightning round about ships. Sail yeah!
- Though the actual sinking was much less dramatic than the one in the movie, which White Star Line ship was, perhaps ironically, retroactively touted as unsinkable?
- Before setting ground on the shore of this uncharted desert isle, which ship was skippered by Jonas Grumby?
- A portent of doom if it appears, which ghost ship, piloted by Davy Jones in a Pirates movie, is the naming inspiration for the seafood restaurant in The Simpsons?
- On his first transatlantic voyage in 1492, which explorer and generally bad person had a fleet of three ships: the Nina, the Pinta, and the Santa Maria?
- Named after the love of Forrest’s life, what was the name of the first shrimping boat of the Bubba Gump Shrimp Company?
- Piloted by Cap’n Horatio Magellan Crunch, which ship is often seen in commercials hording precious cereal as cargo?
- Playing CT Granville, which child actor got his start on the kids science show, Voyage of the Mimi?
- Also the name of an unrelated Chicago pizza chain, what’s the name of the ship commanded by Captain Ahab in his quest to find Moby Dick?
- Commanded by Captain Nemo, which submarine is featured in a couple Jules Verne novels, including Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea?
- Based on a song off the album Revolver, which movie is about a paradise under the sea that gets attacked by the music-hating Blue Meanies?
Find the answers in the back of this month’s Local newspaper — just flip to Missed Connections and there’s a little box in the lower right-hand corner. Click over to the answers here!
While you’re at it, we’d sure love it if you’d read the rest of the paper too and let us know what you think in the comments below. Some great articles this month, including an introduction to our new publisher leading us forward, Revive Media — and we’ve also got stories from Philadelphia’s past, as well. Of course our popular features like Ask Athena and Missed Connections.
PRO TIP: It’s more fun in print. Find The Local paper at shops, markets, libraries, waiting rooms, cafes, laundromats, universities, etc. in East Falls, Germantown and other random spots in NW Philly (and beyond). There’s also a red box outside our office at Chelten & Pulaski, where you can grab a copy 24/7.
For subscriptions or sponsorship email email@example.com (also businesses, say the word and we’re happy to drop off a stack for your customers).
TRIVIA FANS: As the area’s most popular QUIZZO host, Sean entertains regular crowds of newbies and die-hard regulars — with teams competing for various prizes (including bar tabs in some cases!). Feel free to throw down any suggestions for future Quizzo themes and special events you’d like to see in 2022.
Come out for an evening of laughs and surprises.
- Wednesdays (7:30-9PM)
Punch Buggy Brewing Company
1445 North American St.
- Thursdays (7:30-9PM)
Wissahickon Brewing Company
3705 W. Schoolhouse Ln.
Fun Fact: Sean can customize a QUIZZO for your business, your family, your friends — great for parties but just as fun remotely for team-building, fund-raising, ice-breaking…. Learn more about Sean’s personalized trivia games on his website seanpmaguire.com. Follow him on Facebook and Instagram.