Ria G’s cover for August savors the last scenes of the season.
Another month, another original illustration by our own Ria G, a Germantown artist, photographer and animator! Sheria Gregory illuminates our latest edition’s Page One with vibrant compilations of local scenes popping with life. Ria’s artwork reminds us that summers don’t last forever — let’s soak it all up while we can. And enjoy each other’s company.
Be sure to track down your copy of The Local paper, where Ria’s images come alive in print. While you’re at it, check out what’s inside. This month features:
- PEOPLE’S PLUNGE: A rundown of public pools in NW Philly (plus info on how to look them up for any neighborhood).
- TAKEN FOR A RIDE: The only recreation center for people with disabilities is slated for demolition — it’s a great story (and you can help!).
- NOW HEAR THIS: Behind the scenes at Uptown Radio.
- BUDGET BREAKDOWN: Reclaim Philly’s city budget scorecard explains all.
- REGULAR FEATURES including Ask Athena’s advice, Dr. Woodson’s social justice column. Calendar, trivia, crime report and real estate rundown. Plus reader favorite: Missed Connections.
- SO MUCH MORE! Find us in local shops, cafes, libraries, etc. Or swing by our office at Chelten & Pulaski (if we’re closed, you can grab a copy from the red box outside our office).
ABOUT AUGUST’S COVER:
My illustration is called “Summer in the City”. I wanted to showcase the beauty and timeless markers of another summer coming to an end in Philadelphia. Summer is going out with your friends; riding bikes until the street lights come on. Playing basketball on a hoop hanging from an electrical pole. Summer is eating your favorite water ice and trying to stay cool near the water. Who can forget gathering for cookouts and creating lasting Labor Day memories, ending with an epic performance of fireworks? “Back to school,” parent constantly remind their kids — until next summer.
Check out Ria’s photography on her website capturedbyriag.com, where she’s arranged her favorite stand-outs into three categories: performances, events and portraits. She’s got a thing for candid shots, and a real knack for catching the action at just the right moment.
Keep an eye on Ria’s Insta, too: @captured.by.ria — she’s always posting interesting stuff: podcasts, parties, photoshoots Stay tuned at the Local, always, for more from this multi-talented neighbor.